Pattern Recognition

Tip: Best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

Name:
Location: Here Of Course

I like to talk. And write poetry. I paint a little too.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Long time, no poem

But the jazz yesterday made me look up this old one.

To Duke Heitger:


and to the Jazzin' Babies:



Hear the Jazz Go Down

'You step inside but you don't see too many faces
Coming in out of the rain to hear the jazz go down'
(Mark Knopfler: Sultans of Swing)


Passing in the cold street
you're pulled inside by music
erupting through the wall

Trio fills the pub, eight drinkers
fight for space. Candles
scorch brown panels, turn beer to brass,
wine to pulsing blood

A sax and battered trombone
nailed to ceiling. Photos
of visiting bands, four seats
by the bar, long bench along the wall

Silent listeners except one couple
arguing about a missing
napsack. Barman shushes, liquid
guitar tells them to shut up

Stony-faced, the player walks strings,
moves from soft to stinging rain.

Drummer slams lids, breaks plates,
pounds steak in an unseen kitchen

Bass player vibrates your thighs
like deep rumbling volcanoes

and the jazz goes down.

Shisa

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! You must have revised this one. I don't remember it being SO GOOD. I'd like to be sitting on that long bench, glass of wine in my hand, and hearing the 'stinging rain' sound.

I also like the "Sultans of Swing" intro.

5:00 PM, August 21, 2005  
Blogger Laurie said...

Whoa! Thanks for alerting me to this. I felt like I was there. Just great.

1:35 AM, August 24, 2005  
Blogger Aisha said...

Thanks, New Orleans Misses

9:27 PM, August 24, 2005  
Blogger Paul Donnett said...

Visited Holland in '86. Was sitting in a cafe with my grandfather eating fish and chips and in walked a five piece Dixieland jazz band. Played for about half an hour, we had a great time!
P.S. Do you mind if I put a link to you on my blog (The Nuggery)?

6:46 PM, August 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shister, this is very cool. Don't recall the earlier version, but this is mighty fine. As usual, great visual and atmosphere building. This, too could be used for our common purpose, eh?

11:00 AM, August 31, 2005  
Blogger Aisha said...

Hi Nuggery-- I have been at your blog via Bravus--relationships huh? Well thought out.
Sure, I'd be honoured. Jazz in Amsterdam-- another good setting.

Paula-- so good to have you back!
Yes, maybe usable for postcards.

1:40 PM, August 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home