Pattern Recognition

Tip: Best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

Name:
Location: Here Of Course

I like to talk. And write poetry. I paint a little too.

Friday, March 11, 2005

Flowers Against Grief




Some friends gave me tulips today, belatedly after my mother's death--
every colour--
I had to put them in a kitchen pan, stainless steel and
unlovely-- too many for my narrow vase.

Why flowers to the grieving?

IS IT THAT
1. They are alive
OR
2. They too die.
OR
3. Their beauty delights, which is comforting in itself.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Flowers, to me, signify life, the beauty of it and, I suppose, the fragility. tribute to the deceased, here in America a common, expected gift of love.

Tulips are a perfect flower to give, I think, delicate, a symbol of spring. It's nice you placed them in a common pot. Informal, familiar.

10:22 AM, March 12, 2005  
Blogger Aisha said...

If anyone knows about flowers, it is you-- all those wonderful ink and wash haigas in your blog.

Yes, the tribute too, of course.

Still thinking of getting a scanner and starting some drawing/waetrcolours for the blog -- even my photos are mostly straight off google.

Aisha

11:23 AM, March 12, 2005  
Blogger Laurie said...

Flowers make me think of spring and rebirth. They're a beautiful symbol the natural procession of life and living.

4:20 AM, March 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home