Pattern Recognition

Tip: Best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

Name:
Location: Here Of Course

I like to talk. And write poetry. I paint a little too.

Saturday, March 12, 2005

A migratory bird flies south

Would you believe that this bird, the waxwing, flies south for the winter-- to Oslo, Norway!

Comes all the way from the very north, in Finnmark County, way above the Arctic Circle and close to Siberia, where it nests and lives on insects all summer, to feast on fruit and berries in the warm South -- in Oslo.



Bombycilla garrulus

Not my own picture -- the flock I saw on my freezing walk in - 5 Centigrade were enjoying whitebeam berries, softly cirrrrring to each other.

Bohemian Chatterers is another name for them, in Norway "sidensvans" -- silky tail.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Such a determined look this bird has! Beautiful!

We have Waxwings in the US, too. Cedar Waxwings. They're plummage looks like velvet. I've never seen one at my bird feeder, but they're around. They winter in British Columbia, and summer throughout much of the US.There voice is a soft trill, tseee.

7:05 PM, March 12, 2005  
Blogger petergarner said...

Hi Aish, as jerry pointed out, we do have cedar waxwings in North America, but we also have yours, the Bohemian waxwing (I checked the Latin name just to make sure). They're not as regular as cedars because they're, well, Bohemian; in other words, they wander.

One of the most touching things in the natural world is watching the waxwings' courting ritual of passing a berry back and forth. They'll be sitting on a branch next to one another; one will pass the berry to the other, who takes one hop away, turns around on the branch hops back and passes the berry. Then the other one does the same thing. I've seen them do this for minutes on end.

We occasionally get them in winter too. They're soooo cuuute ;-).

RT

3:28 AM, March 13, 2005  
Blogger Aisha said...

Jerry, Peter, Paula--
Poetic comments from poets, but that was expected :)

Thanks for reading my bird pic....and I would love to see the berry-passing! Wonder if I would need to go North for that as they don't nest down here in the South (- 7 today). Or look out for a nature programme on TV...

Aisha

10:06 AM, March 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home