Pattern Recognition

Tip: Best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

Name:
Location: Here Of Course

I like to talk. And write poetry. I paint a little too.

Friday, April 08, 2005

Other people's words

Many days behind me, many days ahead of other people's words.
Through my headset in one language, back through my mike in another.

During the breaks, while my partner in the small, over-heated booth works, eyes glued to speaker's face or searching a text long abandoned, I take a well-earned break, read some poetry, look out at the assembled politicians, trade unionists, business people, NGO members ...
How many times today did I translate 'important', 'agenda', elections'?
Around 60 three-minute interventions yesterday -- nervous, angry, eloquent, stuttering, smiling delegates -- we handle three each, then a ten minute break, sound turned down against ear ache.



I have a feeling Nicole Kidman has a more exciting time than us... Gonna go check it out when the movie is out here.

3 Comments:

Blogger petergarner said...

Honestly, I don't know how you do it. It must be exhausting. But that's why you make the big bucks, eh? ;-)

Ranger (who can't wait to see the movie)

11:43 PM, April 08, 2005  
Blogger Aisha said...

I don't know about the bucks -- but it is interesting and challenging-- and over when it's over-- no going abck and fiddling and polishing as you have to with a translation.

Missed a chance to see it recently but several colleagues went and liked it. The movie I mean.

11:06 PM, April 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Saw The Interpreter last night. Could not help but think of you. I liked the movie mostly because of the actors (Penn and Kidman)and the setting (U.N.)

Much of it was filmed in Jersey City, the city I was born in, the city of my childhood. Across the river from Manhattan, it has the best views of New York.

5:23 AM, April 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home