Pattern Recognition

Tip: Best viewed with Mozilla Firefox.

Name:
Location: Here Of Course

I like to talk. And write poetry. I paint a little too.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Spelling in Google




Looking at some gorgeous flowers in Paula's blog, I was reminded of a (to me) very exotic tree I saw in New Orleans: crepe myrtle -- or so I thought. It seems the tree is crape myrtle! Or so I found out here:

"The common name of this plant is crape myrtle not crepe myrtle. It is called this because the flowers have crinkly petals that resemble the material called crepe (which according to Webster is a "light crinkled fabric woven of any of various fibers") but many references tell us that you're supposed to spell it crape when it's in front of myrtle. Confused? I think somebody was full of crape when they came up with this name! At any rate, it's a common name and since there's no authority that manages common names for plants you can spell (or call it) whatever you like!"

So let's make it simple:
Lagerstroemia indica is good enough for me.

Or the 'Catawba' variety:

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I have a crepe (crape just doesn't look right) myrtle right outside my bedroom window. It's a gorgeous hot pink like the picture. I love it.

8:40 AM, May 07, 2005  
Blogger Aisha said...

lucky you!
I remember my Florida and Texas friends both having them -- never seen them before until New Orleans: they bowled me over!

12:18 AM, May 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crape Myrtle. With an 'a.' Well, Ah swan.

Carol

1:55 AM, May 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home